Tile floors are great for any room in the house. They clean easily and last a long time. However, some people don’t always take great care of them. Here are some tips to help you out.
1. Refinish Your Tile Floors Often
The best thing you can do for your tile floors is to get them refinished often. The protective coating on your tile floors wears down over time. Sometimes, depending on how well you take care of the tiles, they can wear down quicker or slower.
If you notice that high traffic areas like entrances seem to be dull, the finish has faded. Regular refinishing treatments extend the life of your tiles floors and make them look great. A refinished tile floor looks just as good as any brand new tile floor.
2. Keep the Tile Floors Clean
Another important measure to take is to always keep the floors cleans. Dirt, dust, and other particles can quickly dull the shine and protective coat on tile floors. Keeping your floors clear of debris will extend their lifetime significantly. If little rocks or stones are dragged in from outside, they can scratch the tiles too. You need to keep up on the cleaning to keep the tiles in top condition.
3. Do Not Use Abrasive Cleaning Supplies
If you are cleaning the floors regularly, then you want to make sure you’re doing it correctly. Here are a couple of tips:
- Don’t use cleaners that contain bleach or acid.
- Don’t use any cleaning aid that contains metal, including steel wool pads and copper scouring pads.
- If you have an unglazed tile, do not use any cleaning supplies that contain color.
- Don’t use wax-based cleaners, oil-based detergents, or oil-based sealants on your tile (although you can use sealants on the grout joints).
- If using a new cleaner or sealant, be sure to test it on a small area before using it everywhere.
- Thoroughly rinse the entire area with clean water after every cleaning to remove all cleaning solution residue.
4. Buy Several Extra Tiles Right Away
When you first get your tile floors installed, we recommend you buy several extra tiles just in case. You may need to spot-replace a few tiles after an accident and will want the exact same kind that you already have in the floor. However, brands change the color and finish of
A tile of the same exact kind bought a couple of years later can look very different. As an insurance measure, just buy some extra and keep them close in case of an emergency.
Contact My Affordable Floors Today!
If you feel your floor is looking a bit dull, it may be time for a tile refinishing treatment.
The experts at My Affordable Floors in Wisconsin can take a faded tile floor and make it look like a brand new floor was installed.