Vinyl tile flooring can be an economic and beautiful option for your home. To keep it looking its best, however, you need to understand how to clean vinyl tile.
Read on for our top tips for keeping your flooring as beautiful as the day you had it installed!
1. Clean Your Vinyl Tile Flooring Often
The best way to maintain vinyl tile flooring? Clean it often. Don’t wait for sticky messes to build up before you tackle them. Some tips:
- Milwaukee flooring experts recommend sweeping your floor each evening. This will remove any dirt or grime that has accumulated during that day—which, in turn, will make cleaning the floor easier.
- Use a dry dust mop, or even a vacuum, to clean your vinyl tiles regularly. Wipe up any spills or muddy footprints as soon as possible.
By preventing dirt from becoming ground into the flooring, you can help maintain its beauty and extend its lifespan.
2. Use the Right Products
Regular sweeping of your vinyl tile flooring will also enable you to use gentle cleaners. Most of the time, a mop dampened with warm (not hot!) water is all you need to restore your floor’s sheen. In fact, using soap can actually make your vinyl tile dirtier over time! Soap leaves behind a film that can attract and trap dirt particles. Our tips:
- If you do require a cleaning product, make sure you use one that is safe for your flooring and is as gentle as possible (while still getting the job done). An all-purpose household cleaner, diluted in water, should work just fine.
- It’s also a good idea to employ a two-mop system: one for soapy water and one to use for rinsing the floor. Be sure to dry the floor thoroughly after mopping, since excess water can loosen vinyl tiles’ glue over time. This will eventually cause the tiles to curl or crack.
3. Treat Scuff Marks
What to do when you see scuff marks on your tile flooring? First, try your usual method of mopping to see if that makes a difference. If a gentle cleaner doesn’t take care of the marks, try the baby oil method:
- Apply just a few drops of baby oil to the scuff mark with a cloth.
- Let it sit for a few minutes, and then wipe it off. The scuffs should be easy to remove.
- Just be sure to clean the oil off thoroughly, so that no one slips and hurts themselves.
4. Take Care of Your Furniture
Heavy furniture and kitchen appliances can leave dents in vinyl tile flooring if you’re not careful. Prevent such dents by using floor protectors, sometimes known as protective feet, for your furniture and appliances. These can be found at a hardware store.
Remember: Never use chairs or carts with casters on a vinyl floor. The casters can cause damage to the flooring.
5. Wax On? No, Wax Off!
Most vinyl flooring these days is of the no-wax variety. And no really means no! Do not apply wax, and use only cleaners that are designed for no-wax floors.
Contact Us for a Vinyl Tile Flooring Estimate
This type of flooring is a popular one, and with good reason. It’s easy to care for, long-lasting, and aesthetically pleasing. If your old floor could use a makeover, why not consider luxury vinyl tile from My Affordable Flooring?
Contact us today for a free estimate for new flooring for your Milwaukee home!
You must be logged in to post a comment.