Is hardwood flooring right for your home or business? Hardwood is experiencing a renaissance and has never been more popular. What’s all the hype about? Consult this handy checklist and discover whether or not choosing a hardwood floor is the answer for your Milwaukee-area home:
- Wood Flooring Options: Hardwood flooring is primarily available in two types: solid and engineered. Solid hardwood is created from solid logs, put together with tongues and grooves, and is available in a variety of finishes and sizes. Engineered flooring is made from a mix of plywood and composite material and topped with a layer of solid hardwood. While solid hardwood is aesthetically-classic, engineered flooring is easier to install and resistant to warping caused by humidity.
- Wood Species Variation: Common species used in hardwood flooring include Red Oak, Hickory, Maple, Walnut, Brazilian Cherry, Brazilian Koa, and Cumaru. Different wood species are more or less hard; the harder the wood, the more durable.
- Stylistic Consideration: Due to the large variety of species and finishes, finding a flooring option that meshes with the style of your home or business has never been easier. Popular styles include distressed, grainy, wide-plank, country, and more!
- Selecting a Finish: The importance of a floor’s finish cannot be understated. A single wood species can look entirely different depending on the amount of gloss and technique used in it’s finish. Considering functionality, you can also select between unfinished or prefinished floors. Unfinished floors are finished on-site, allowing for a more consistent seal, whereas pre-finished floors are created in a controlled factory setting, which means they often come with a warranty.
- Price and Installation: Hardwood flooring costs vary as much as species, style, and finish. Common prices for solid prefinished floors range from $3 to $12 per square foot. Common prices for engineered prefinished wood flooring range from $2 to $9. Installation usually involves affixing the hardwood floor to a sub-floor and often costs about half as much as the flooring itself.
If you’re considering choosing a hardwood floor, start the conversation with My Affordable Flooring. We offer free estimates and consultations for all of our services. Call our friendly sales associates today at 262-653-1120 for a no-obligation estimate or just complete our contact form to schedule your appointment.