Flooring is no small job, so when seeking the help of a professional contractor, you want to find someone who will do things right the first time around (friendly customer service and industry-leading craftsmanship don’t hurt, either). Yet, conducting a search for a dependable and trustworthy contractor can be an arduous and finicky process. Thankfully, a few key principles can help you find the perfect match.
To find a reputable contractor to help with your floors or other home improvement project, follow a few simple steps, including:
- Consider Your Budget: A crucial first step in any contractor search is knowing what you are willing to spend on their services. Start by considering what is most important to you: is it experience or availability, popularity or availability? As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for, so be realistic about the cost range you can accommodate.
- Ask About Speciality: Some contractors bill themselves as flooring experts, while others simply include the service in their menu of general interior home repair. Neither option is necessarily superior, but it is important to hear from the company itself about how well-versed it is in the tasks you need accomplished. If this is the contractor’s first time with a certain type of hardwood, for example, you should be aware of the experiment you are getting into.
- Check the Portfolio: Many flooring contractors will offer visual examples of their work, such as photos, videos, and written project descriptions. Does their work pass the eye-test? What you see is likely what you will get.
- Read the Reviews: You won’t find a more honest description of a contractor’s services than from customer reviews. While it is true that every customer’s experience will be different, you should expect to see a lot of stars and glowing praise.
- Reference and Background Checks: For the sake of due diligence, you may want to ask your prospective contractor for references that you can contact directly. To take it a step further, you can use the Wisconsin Circuit Court website to complete a free legal background check on a company’s owner and employees.
- Proof of License and Insurance: It is impossible to overstate the importance of choosing a flooring specialist that is both licensed and insured. Licensing ensures that the contractor has foundational experience in the field, while insurance protects both you and the contractor from the liability of damages and accidents.
- Compare Quotes: You never want to put all of your eggs in one basket, so when finding the perfect contractor for you, it is important to shop around. A general rule is to get at least three different quotes. That way, you can get a feel for each contractor’s unique style, offerings, availability, and price.
Why Choose My Affordable Floors, Inc.
If you follow the steps we have outlined for selecting a quality contractor, you will find that My Affordable Floors, Inc. checks all of the boxes. Locally-owned and operated, we are proud to serve the flooring needs of homes and businesses across southeast Wisconsin. With a reputation for being friendly, affordable, and thorough, My Affordable Floors, Inc. offers a full menu of high-quality flooring services. For a free consultation and estimate, contact us today by calling 262-653-1120 or filling out our online contact form.