At My Affordable Flooring, we’re thrilled to share our expertise in carpet installation with our wonderful customers. In our last post, we covered the basics of carpet, including terminology and the types of fibers that are available. This time, we’ll take a close look at the way that those fibers are woven into a type of carpet, and how that affects where that carpet should be installed in your home.
Many Types of Carpet
The type of carpet fibers as well as their height, or “pile”, aren’t the only factors that determine the softness of carpet. The way the pile is woven, and whether or not it is cut plays into the luxuriousness of the carpet’s feel as well.
There are two main ways that the fiber pile is finished, resulting in cut pile or loop pile. Cut pile means the fibers are cut evenly, and loop pile means the fibers are looped over and the ends attached to the backing.
There are a few different types of cut pile, each with its own unique properties:
- Textured carpet is the most popular option, due to its high durability to price point ratio. While textured carpet is very soft, it typically isn’t as dense as more high-end types, but still has a tight construction that resists dirt.
- Frieze carpet is shorter, with a twisted fiber that stands up to heavy traffic, making it ideal for commercial areas. Frieze carpet doesn’t show footprints, keeping an orderly and clean look throughout the day.
- Saxony is a style that results in a very dense and smooth appearance, which is appropriate for formal, luxury settings. Saxony’s high-end appearance is frequently referred to as “plush”.
Loop pile carpet is extremely durable, and it’s tight loops resist dirt and moisture. There are two main types of loop pile carpet:
- Berber is a popular type of carpet because of its longevity, durability, and stain-resistance. Berber’s tight loops vary in size, giving it a unique look that combines style with performance.
- Level Loop is well suited for high traffic, commercial areas because its loops are tufted and of equal length, giving it a very smooth appearance. Level loop is also very easy to maintain, but not as soft as other carpet.
With all the options available to you in carpet, it’s easy to find the perfect match for your home. Be sure to contact the experts at My Affordable Flooring today for knowledgeable answers to all your carpet questions!
Call Today for a Free Estimate!
My Affordable Flooring is your carpet expert! Call us today at 262-653-1120 for a free, no-obligation estimate, or fill out our contact form to schedule a free, in-home visit.