You’ve been planning to renovate your bathroom for some time now. And you’re finally making it happen. From a new sink to a new shower head, it all seems simple enough. Until you get to the flooring.
How are you supposed to know which bathroom tiles are best for your home? Not to worry: You’ve found the answers. Read on to figure out if porcelain or ceramic tiles are best for you.
Porcelain Bathroom Tiles
Porcelain is a type of floor tile that is a subcategory of ceramic tiles. To be labeled as porcelain the tile has to:
- have an absorption rate of 0.5% or less
- be made up of clay
- be heated to high temperatures
When shopping for tile in Racine (or anywhere else really!), you’ll want to look out for fake porcelain. Since porcelain needs to be certified a specific way, there can be many fakes on the market.
- Porcelain is more heat resistant than ceramic. This can be a good thing in the case of fires within a household. It makes it harder for the fire to reach the bathroom.
- Porcelain is also known to have a long lifespan, so you will most likely not need to replace it. It can last up to 50 years or longer if it is installed the right way.
- These bathroom tiles are easier to maintain, as they are less absorbent than ceramic.
- They are stain resistant, so cleaning will mean an easy wipe down.
- They are also resistant to cracking and need to be certified to be called porcelain.
- Weight is one of the biggest disadvantages of porcelain tiles. They can be very heavy. As a result, this can make the installation process difficult.
- These tiles need to be installed correctly in order for them to last.
- Another factor that should play into your decision is how you feel about grout. Grout is the filling between porcelain tiles and can be hard to clean.
Ceramic Bathroom Tiles
Ceramic is a broader category that porcelain is found under. It is also made up of clay, and it can be used for many functions, from roofs to tabletops.
- The great thing about ceramic bathroom tiles is that there are so many different kinds. There can be ceramic tiles that even resemble wood floors.
- There are also many designs that one can make with them. This is probably because ceramic tiles are less dense, which allows them to be easily cut.
- These tiles are also easy to take care of. Since they have a protective layer, it helps keep them water resistant.
- Ceramic tiles are often cheaper than porcelain tiles.
The disadvantages of ceramics often revolve around being of lesser quality than porcelain. For instance, ceramics:
- are less durable than porcelain
- have a shorter lifespan
- are heavy
As a result, they will need to be replaced a lot sooner. Also, they are not recommended for upper floor renovations. Using these on upper levels can cause damage to the floor.
Check out our Blog
The best bathroom tile type for your home depends on what you are looking for. Ceramics are better for more aesthetic bathrooms, while porcelain is more functional. Either way, if you live in the Racine area and want new tile for your bathroom, we can help you figure out which is best for your needs.
For more tips on flooring, visit our blog to learn more.